Thursday, December 1, 2011


The Spirit of Christmas

Here is a little story I would like to share with you. We all have experienced, at one time or another, very special events or times in our lives that seem to stand out and are forever etched in our minds. This is a true story of a special Christmas and memories which will be with me forever.

If my memory serves me correctly it was around 1990 or 1991. Christmas was fast approaching and I was living alone at the time, in a small one bedroom apartment in the tiny community of Welsford, New Brunswick. While living in this community for nearly fifteen years, I had made many friends, but this is about two very special friends of mine. Twin girls, Sara and Kara had been born to a couple I had known quite well for a number of years. Kara was born with Spina Bifida, and Sara was as normal as could be. They were about five years old now and during this time the three of us had become very close. I would visit occasionally and both girls just loved to see me come around. I guess I was more like family to them and with each visit the bond grew a little stronger. Now you have to imagine a man living alone has really no reason, not to mention much interest in putting up a Christmas tree. But this year somehow seemed different, and I’m sure it was the Spirit of Christmas that was getting to me. As the 25th of the month drew closer and closer, I knew that this year would be different, different than any I had experienced in the past.

I remember as a kid setting out in search of the perfect tree, not that many of them were perfect, but it was the thrill of dragging home some scrawny Charlie Brown which would be used to celebrate the occasion. So it was, I donned my winter apparel and headed out, knowing exactly what I intended to do. It was like something was directing me to follow every step that had been pre planned or laid out for me. After a thorough search of the area the perfect tree did appear, so down it came, and it was now on it’s way to the most wonderful Christmas that ever was for me.

What does one do when you have never been alone at Christmas? You now find yourself wondering how on earth you’re going to trim a tree, when you have absolutely nothing to trim it with. I stood the naked tree in a corner and wondered when the next part of my imagination would take over and give me some direction. All I knew at the time was that this was going to be a tree for my two little friends and somehow everything would turn out fine. It would be the special Christmas I had hoped for. Without thinking much more about it, I hopped in my truck and headed to the local general store to have coffee. You can imagine what a variety of goods would be available in a little local country store. Being the time of year it was, extra care was taken to order all kinds of things pertaining to the season, especially candy and the like.

While standing there sipping away at my coffee, I noticed a box shaped like a star with candy inside. Wow, my heart started beating a mile a minute and I knew what the next step would be immediately. I bought that star shaped box, and any other candy I could find that would make the ornaments for this special tree. Gum drops, life savors, round balls of bubble gum, popcorn, it didn’t matter as long as I could turn it into ornaments, it went home with me. I even bought a spool of thread to tie things together so they could be hung up. I remember tying two tooth picks together in the middle so they formed a + and then sticking one ball of bubble gum on each end of the tooth picks. I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning making ornaments and decorating. When I finished the only thing on the tree that wasn’t made of candy were the icicles and mini lights I had bought as well. Even the empty star shaped box was placed on the tree to top it off.

What a sweet little tree! Well not really, looks can be deceiving. Most of the candy I purchased as it turned out was of the sour kind. Remember me saying it was as if I’d been following directions from a power greater than mine. How could I know that sour candy was a favorite of these two special little friends, I didn’t, but could something or someone else know?

On the day before, the day before Christmas (December 23rd) I asked their parents if they could bring Sara and Kara to my place, explaining I had a little surprise and a little gift for them. Boy, I want you to know if you ever witness the spirit of Christmas like I did in the eyes and on the faces of those two little girls; you would know what Christmas was all about. When the season of celebration ended my two little friends came to visit once again, and as promised, they helped me dismantle and undecorate their tree. When they left they each had a shoe box nearly full of sour candy, memories for a life time, and smiles that would melt your heart.

That my friends, was about 21 years ago. Neither they nor I will ever forget that very special Christmas.  

Thanks for taking the time to read this and letting me share one of life’s more pleasurable experiences.

                                        Geo Donovan

No comments:

Post a Comment